<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Languages and My Ears 

I don't like the sound of Arabic, I find it very annoying, which is just as true, but slightly less, for German. Since I do have to hear people speaking in Arabic with a certain frequency, I just feel like telling them to be quiet or change the language :-) And I can't stand the sound of Chinese (or any other from this Asian family of idioms, including neighboring ones). But I love all the South African clicking sound languages. Too cool.

Languages to me are like songs, the sound quality jumps out at me and I can feel anywhere from love to utter and the most profound annoyance at the ensemble of sounds. It has nothing to do with the language itself and what it may express or how, just how it sounds.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?