Sunday, April 23, 2006
- The gentleman must not put his foot on the (meal) table or relieve himself in public.
- When speaking he must not wave his hands around as though swatting flies.
- He should not leave his study with his pen behind his ear.
- After blowing his nose he should not open his handkerchief and look in it, as though there were pearls and rubies there.
- He should not sniff the wine or food that others are about to consume or even sniff his own.
- He should not smack his lips when eating.
as though swatting flies... LOL
open his handkerchief and look in it, as though there were pearls and rubies there... too funny
At least they used handkerchiefs, as opposed to the disgraceful modern plebs that never carry a hanky around and spend hours making the most gross nasal noises in order to keep their nose water from spilling out.
(manual mentioned in the book: Pietro Bembo, Lover, Linguist, Cardinal.)