<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The new and terrible Harry Potter 

So I went to see the new HP film and it was awful. I have not read any of the
books, and although I tried to start reading the first, I put it down because
it was extremely dull to me (I stopped right at the beginning).

Since then I have asked people (adults mostly) who have enjoyed the book what was the main plot, and I found the summary interesting and it gave me some clues of why
such a plot could become very popular. But I found the author's style a total obstacle. Obviously I am not in the target age range and this isn't a direct criticism to the author's style.

So, since I was actually trapped in a place with nothing
to do except wait for the time to go to Church a couple of weeks back, and I
happened to pass by a movie theater that was playing Harry Potter, I decided to
watch it (I think this is the fourth movie now?) Well, it's terrible. The movie
just throws at you one fast action sequence after another, and if you don't know anything about the characters, you walk out of the movie not knowing any more
than when you walked in. They are so character-less. The producers obviously
thought that if they replace good story and character development with fast action 3D effects, which simply don't stop happening, this rapid succession
of 3D vapidity would satisfy the public. Yuck.
Frustrating.

However, as it so happens that I am in a foreign country right now and I don't
know the language too well, this terrible banal scriptwriting with just zany action, action, action, which I had to watch in a foreign language, actually allowed me to follow the movie, but in a frustrated way.

As an tiny annecdote, I did talk to a couple of young teens afterwards that I hadn't liked the movie, and these major HP fans were simply in total adolescent shock that someone on this Earth did not stand in complete awe of a Harry Potter product.

:-D

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?