<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 14, 2006

My love-hate relationship with words continues 

I have a love-hate relationships with words. Words, words, words. Mostly, I dont really like words, but I have come to like writing, actually quite a bit, since now I can minimally write many things I want to express. It wasn't always the case.

Today I had to read stuff that included what I call GRE level words, which are these graduate level vocab (not that undergrads never come across them), but which I find annoying and frustrating because I can never remember what they mean. And it's not like I haven't come across them myriad of times and had to go look them up again and again and again. ugh. Today I came across Hermeneutics, phenomenology, epystemology, exegesis, and eisegesis, all in less than 2 hours. Good cauliflower grief!! (somehow I have come to love to insert vegetables in adverbial and adjectival phrases - lol :-) And although hermeneutics and phenomenology I put in the same annoying category as "ontological", exegesis is OK and what I really liked was eisegesis, which was new to me. Very neat that, first, someone came up with a word to name the process that it signifies, and second, that it has flair. You know, it's not like the drabby "ontological" - which I associate a picture of a word wearing an old-fashioned, dull black suit, with a humorless expression on its face. Eisegesis, on the other hand is sporting a designer suit, sporty and stylish, and most certainly without any homo crap. The kind of style pro-homosexuals can't attain.

From wiki:
Exegesis (from the Greek ἐξηγεῖσθαι 'to lead out') involves an extensive and critical interpretation of a text, especially of a holy scripture, such as of the Old and New Testaments of the Bible, the Talmud, the Midrash, the Qur'an, etc. An exegete is a practitioner of this science, and the adjectival form is exegetic.
The word exegesis means "to draw the meaning out of" a given text. Exegesis may be contrasted with eisegesis, which means to read one's own interpretation into a given text. [too cool]

In general, exegesis presumes an attempt to view the text objectively, while eisegesis implies more subjectivity.

Traditional exegesis requires the following: analysis of significant words in the text in regard to translation; examination of the general historical and cultural context, confirmation of the limits of the passage, and lastly, examination of the context within the text. [1]

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?