<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, April 10, 2005

The Da Vinci Code - last update April 17 

See my big post on it here.

Update April 15:

Found another nice summary of the book:

Caught in a whirling paradox of religion and science; of murder and love; of chaos and complexity; of peanut butter and chocolate; peas and mayonnaise; while riding a wave of pack mentality, served with a nice, tall glass of mediocrity. A symbologist (apparently all the semioticians at Harvard were busy) receives an urgent late-night phone call: the elderly curator of the Louvre has been murdered inside the museum. Near the body, police have found a baffling cipher it reads “be sure to drink your Ovaltine…and this book is a steaming pile…”

A steaming pile… a steaming pile of what? What could it be?



Oatmeal? ;-)

p.s. I hope to finish reading the book this weekend.

Update April 17:

I have finished it. Let's say the ending could have been worse. He spent 400 pages building up a huge expectation in the reader of an explosive ending and it just withers quietly away at the end. At around page 400 I started thinking, "He's not going to be able to pull it off," a real good ending, I mean. Then I dreaded the ending would be seriously lame. But it wasn't also.

And, you know, I kept thinking, how hard can it be to write such a book? 25 million sold, he gets 50 million. If I could write something that would sell 250 thousand books, I'm happy. Religion, police chases, twists and turns, esoteric stuff, secrecy, a little romance, cat and mouse, word games. There must be tons of books out there like that. It's the central "Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene that really caught fire, along with the pro-feminine stuff, liberal style" I think.

.

Comments:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?