<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, March 20, 2005

TIZIANO - Portrait of a Man - What an Arresting Look 

The portrait below is so different than almost everything else Tiziano (Titian) painted, it looks like what another painter would have painted. I like this one much better in any case.

I love the pose, it's a sideways profile, but then it seems like it isn't, because of the protruding bent arm and the slight turn of the head. I love the enormous quilted sleeve, but most of all, his look. To me, the man's look is unfriendly, measuring, to the point of being censuring, and he displays a certain antipathy towards the viewer. Then I look at it again and it seems the man in the painting has moved. He is now looking at me in a different way, more forlorn. I wonder what the real man thought of how he was portrayed.


Portrait of a Man
Titian

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?