<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Dudette, Your Problem's Right Here 

I have been going through an interesting phase. Whereas in the past, I used to be a serious multi-tasker, I have now been forced to face the tragic truth about just how much I currently fail in that respect. As Ace commented by coincidence on the same subject:

Help Wanted

I had seven things I needed to do today, and I've now accomplished four. That leaves three, and I've got to get them all in by f'n' 7:30.

Which just isn't going to happen. I'm now in a triage situation.

And best comment-reply was - by TallDave:

Dude, your problem is right here:

I had seven things I needed to do today

Did you really think that was going to happen?


Ace then goes to accomplish 6 out of his 7 to-dos! I have adopted a symmetrically opposite time-management strategy than Ace, nevertheless. I also have a list of 7-10 things I need to do per day. However, given that I manage to fail doing most of them every single day, I am now following plan 347-B. As you may recall, that plan is: you look at your to-do list and you ask, out of these 10 things, what is the 1 or 2 things that you cannot possibly postpone until tomorrow? There you have it. Time-management for the we-cannot-do-more-than-one-thing-a-day frazzled ones. Maybe I should consider authoring a book on it.

In a previous glorious job interview, similar to the one I related here, at one point, I was asked the classic, "So, tell me about your multi-tasking capabilities?"

I gave the interviewer my best "serious professional here" look, smiled primly, and said, "Certainly. On a good day, I have been able to do one thing, fully, and on a very good day, I break my previous record and double that to two! The strenuous effort this requires, however, means that I'll be tired the next day and I'll be forced to go back to the one-per-day level, when the sun is shining. I don´t produce as much when it´s cloudy, for some reason."

[OK, OK... but I was so very tempted to really say that...]

.

Comments:
Funny! Wouldn't it be fun to give that kind of answer at an interview just once!? I think you just might have a book there. :)
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?