<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Astounded Once Again 

Five minutes ago, I was surfing the blogsphere, just meandering around, like walking around some sunny country meadow that you are not familiar with, and you tell yourself it doesn't really matter all that much where the path will take you, but that's not true, because what you'd really like to find is something interesting and I bumped into a blog that prompted a discussion on polygamy. My comment is not on the latter, but on a matter I find particularly salient with liberalism.

It is perfectly illustrated with the comment someone made:

"Institutions need to be understood, and the reasons they exist and persist has to be understood apart from any moral judgment of them. This is especially true when the institution is one you want to abolish."


I need to think for awhile to find a good metaphor or proverb to highlight the problem above. I will let you know when I find it. For the moment, let me just say that I have always found particularly intriguing the enormous level of denial contained in the above mentality.

Simply put, there is no understanding of any social institution that does not involve moralities and judgments.

However, liberals are usually profoundly convinced of the following:

a) other people have religions, but liberalism does not function as a religion
b) other people have moralities, but liberals do not
c) other people make judgments, but liberals are non-judgmental

The degree of denial that a person must be in to have this as a profound belief of what they are is what keeps astounding me every single day. The fact that there are literally millions of people who have these profound beliefs about themselves is not insignificant to me.

(if you'd care to read a heated discussion of hate speech/homosexuality/and liberalism as a religion - see this previous post).

A fourth, and related common belief is that:
d) there is something that we can hold as objective that is completely separate from subjective news

I won't be commenting on this now.

.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?