<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Discovery: Jacques Offenbach 

I listened for the first time to the entirety of Hoffman´s Tales by Jacques Offenbach. Although I knew a couple of the arias, what a lovely surprise! There are so many arias in the opera that are just thrilling. It surprised also me because I don´t like German opera composers, at least the few I know. Now I can say I don´t like all German opera composers minus one. As for Hoffman, whom I also have not read, after seeing the opera, will continue with no interest to do so.

My favorite song at the moment is: La Chanson de Paul, sung by Serge Reggiani.

Serge Reggiani, décédé en 2004, fait partie comme Yves Montand de cette génération d'italiens immigrés en France dans la première moitié du siècle. Il symbolise les beaux jours du Quartier Latin des années cinquante. Pour les artistes, pour le public, il représente le talent total, celui qui va de la chanson la plus noble (comprenez "poésie") au théâtre le plus exigeant (monologue) en passant par la peinture, la littérature et le cinéma.

Pure poetry.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?