<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 03, 2004

On men and squirrels- the injustice of it all... 

posted by Clayton - his blog- mar 3, 2004I Think It's Time To Travel To San Francisco

You see, there is someone who is very important to me. But because of the bigotry of the laws, there is no way to add my domestic companion to my health insurance. If I die first, there is no simple way to leave my estate; I would have to consult a lawyer, and the matter would become quite complex, especially the right of survivorship with respect to the house my companion loves so much.

We are discriminated against at tax time; I may not take my domestic companion as a dependent. True, we will never have children, but the same is true for many couples marrying today in San Francisco, Oregon, New York, and New Mexico. But my love for this domestic companion is very strong, and I resent how the narrow-mindedness of the bigots that write our laws keeps us apart.

As I sit on the couch watching TV next to my companion, I think how unfair it is that we remain trapped by the narrow definition of marriage imposed by the bigots. My companion yawns, and I look over, increasingly hurt that we must remain not "Applicant 1" and "Applicant 2" but only what Berkeley's city code now calls a "domestic companion." And her muzzle is graying; she chases the ball with less energy than in her youth. Those bigots, refusing to see how important love is, so focused on a minor difference in species.


Another interesting comment, that I don´t recall where I read it, inquired about the numbers of homosexuals that have tried to marry. If there are millions of homosexuals in the United States, why have only a tiny number tried to marry? And... would the California mayor marry two men and a woman if all 3 applied? If it makes them happy and they are committed in a 3 way relationship, shouldn´t they be allowed to marry? I think people who oppose homosexuals (and all that comes from this paradigm) should apply to marry their pets, marry many other people, etc etc... and if the mayor of California didn´t marry them, bring on the suits... What suits? The suits against the bigotted San Francisco mayor, who has discriminated against them...
That would be a lovely picture... thousands of people lined up with their donkeys, canaries, dogs, pigs, elephants (why not?) in front of the Mayor´s office demanding a marriage licence... Can you hear it? I now pronounce you man and pig... or man and squirrel! :-)

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?