<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Tom Jones, gyms, and diseased sexualities 

Yesterday I went to check out another gym and I had to go through the sales guy's routine. This was a nice, friendly, easy-going young man – your perfect salesperson. If you have ever been to a gym, you know the routine. They start asking you what you are interested in, so that they can fashion their shpiel to fire their sales torpedo on target. I told him, among other things, that I didn't like gyms where the ambiance was unpleasant. He was lost. I clarified: I don't like having a considerable number of unpleasant kinds of people who either work for or frequent the gym. He was confused. Then he thought I meant I didn't like the ultra-obsessed body building type of places. So he quickly said, reassuringly, “We have no mirrors here, it's not that body building Mr. Atlas crowd.” He smiled broadly thinking he had scored a big selling point. I gave him a perfunctory smile. Let us spell it out even more clearly now. “I mean, I don't like vulgar environments.” He was speechless. He stood there looking at me trying to make sense of what I had said, with no success. After a few seconds, he said, completely at a loss, “What do you mean, 'vulgar'?”

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?